Laura Morton

CATEGORIES: Alumni Profiles

Thanks so much for the wonderful new psychology department newsletter. As a 1978 graduate, I’d like to add my accolades to the appreciation extended to Ron Peters upon his retirement. I took several physiological psychology courses from Ron. He was, for me, one of those few teachers who inspired lifelong affection, admiration, and gratitude.

I’ll always remember the day of the first (I think) test in the first physiological psych class I took from him. He handed out the tests, sat down in the old swivel chair behind the desk at the front of the classroom, put his hands behind his head, and leaned back. He chortled about how, instead of having to studying the night before like us, he had gotten to watch some great ISU (I think) basketball game. Then he proceeded to tip over backwards! Thankfully he was unhurt, but he provided us with a great laugh.

His great forte was, of course, the human brain (at least when I was there) and he inspired in me an ongoing fascination with this subject, so much so that I’m greatly looking forward to starting a semester in neuroanatomy at California State University at Northridge tomorrow, in my second semester as a returning middle-aged student working toward a Master’s degree in Physical Therapy. From Ron’s discussions of monism vs. dualism to his lectures on the groundbreaking research on the discovery of opiate-like substances in the brain, he had the unique ability to translate profound ideas into concepts that undergraduates could grasp, and the fascination he inspired has remained fresh for over twenty-five years.

I’m sure he knows this, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate that Ron Peters has left a rich legacy to his students and colleagues. I wish him the best in his retirement.

P.S. I looked in vain for any word of one time (and long-time) faculty member Gary Phye, who was an exceedingly supportive advisor and mentor to me over many years. I hope you can mention him in an upcoming issue. I also remember Don Schuster fondly, who helped inspire in me a lifelong interest in meditation and the mind-body connection, and offer my belated condolences to his loved ones.