The minor requires completion of 18 credits including:
- PSYCH 101: Introductory Psychology (3 credits, C- min)
- Five additional PSYCH classes (15 credits)
- Nine (9) credits must not be used to meet any other requirements for graduation (except for total credits and 300/400 level credit requirements).
- Of those nine credits, six (6) credits must be taken at Iowa State with a grade of C or higher.
- An overall C average (2.00) is required and a C- minimum must be obtained in each course.
- At least nine (9) of the 18 credits must be earned in 300/400 level courses.
Courses not accepted
- Psychology 111/112/131/211 cannot be used. No more than three (3) credits may be in Psych 291, 490, 491 and 492.
- Transfer courses labeled as Psych 1T- will NOT be applied to the minor. Courses from Study Abroad or National Student Exchange must be approved by the Psych Advising Office to be used for the Psych minor.
Process to Declare a Psych Minor
- Research psychology courses and choose the courses you plan to take (catalog.iastate.edu/azcourses/psych/)
- Complete “Request for Minor” form (iastate.edu/forms)
- Schedule appointment with Psychology Academic Advising on Access Plus
- Meet with major adviser for signature
- Turn in completed minor form to Enrollment Services
- Enroll in planned courses on Access Plus
- Visit Psych Academic Advising for questions regarding classes, waitlists, etc.
Popular Classes for Non-Psych Majors
- CHFS – PSYCH 230/333/335/460
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE & SOCIOLOGY – PSYCH 310/314/315/318/383/460
- KIN & BIOLOGY – PSYCH 230/310/312/315/386/485
- BUSINESS & JLMC – 250/280/314/350/450
Individual appointments: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:00pm
email@example.com | 1460 Lagomarcino Hall | Iowa State University | Ames, IA 50011 | (515) 294-3646
Contact your major advisor to officially declare a psychology minor!