The minor requires completion of 18 credits including:
- PSYCH 101: Introductory Psychology (3 credits, C- min)
- PSYCH 301: Research Design & Methodology (3 credits, C- min)*
- 4 additional PSYCH classes (12 credits)
*To register for Psych 301, students must have the minor officially declared and stop by the Psych Advising Office (W022 Lago) on or shortly following their assigned registration date. PSYCH 301 (Prerequisite: Stat 101 or 104 or higher; C- minimum strongly recommended) and 1 Psych course.
- Nine (9) credits must not be used to meet any other requirements for graduation (except for total credits and 300/400 level credit requirements).
- Of those nine credits, six (6) credits must be taken at Iowa State with a grade of C or higher.
- An overall C average (2.00) is required and a C- minimum must be obtained in each course.
- At least nine (9) of the 18 credits must be earned in 300/400 level courses.
Courses not accepted
- Psychology 111/112/131 cannot be used. No more than three (3) credits may be in Psych 291, 490, 491 and 492.
- Transfer courses labeled as Psych 1T- will NOT be applied to the minor. Courses from Study Abroad or National Student Exchange must be approved by the Psych Advising Office to be used for the Psych minor.
Process to Declare a Psych Minor
- Research psychology courses and choose the courses you plan to take (catalog.iastate.edu/azcourses/psych/)
- Complete “Request for Minor” form (iastate.edu/forms)
- Schedule appointment with Psychology Academic Advising on Access Plus
- Meet with major adviser for signature
- Turn in completed minor form to Enrollment Services
- Enroll in planned courses on Access Plus (see instructions for PSYCH 301 above)
- Visit Psych Academic Advising for questions regarding classes, waitlists, etc.
Popular Classes for Non-Psych Majors
- CHFS – PSYCH 230/333/335/460
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE & SOCIOLOGY – PSYCH 310/314/315/318/383/460
- KIN & BIOLOGY – PSYCH 230/310/312/315/386/485
- BUSINESS & JLMC – 250/280/314/350/450
Psych Advising Hours
Drop-In: Monday – Friday, 10:00am-2:00pm | Individual appointments: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:00pm
email@example.com | W022 Lagomarcino Hall | Iowa State University | Ames, IA 50011 | (515) 294-1642
The Minor Request form is on the Registrar’s web page under Forms.